33. Swap your supper for soup. Soup’s high water content makes it a low-calorie and filling option. Just steer clear of the creamy kinds.
34. Stop dieting. Yo-yo dieters don’t tend to get thinner—they get fatter. Instead, make a serious lifestyle change.
35. Quit snacking. The real reason the French don’t get fat is because it’s a cultural faux pas to eat between meals.
Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
36. Go gluten free. It isn’t a miracle diet, but it can be a useful short-term experiment that often leads to weight loss and ultimately a less bread-heavy diet.
37. Spice it up! Cayenne pepper really can rev your metabolism, according to recent research. (Video: 3 Drinks that Boost Metabolism)
38. Abandon your car. Walk or bike to work for a slimming—not fattening—commute.
39. Eat breakfast. Those who enjoy a morning meal have been shown over and over to be slimmer than breakfast skippers.
40. Drink more milk. Low-fat dairy consumption seems to speed weight loss—scientists credit the calcium.
Get Radiant Skin With These Foods
41. Eat more yogurt. A recent report revealed the foods most identified with maintaining a healthy weight, and yogurt ranked among the best. (How Healthy is Your Yogurt?)
42. Drop the potato chips. At the top of the list for foods that make you add pounds? Potato chips.
43. Take a two-wheeled tour. A long weekend bike ride around your hometown will help you see the sights in a new light, all while you torch a ton of calories.
44. Make it interesting. Go to Stickk.com to sign a contract with yourself to lose weight. If you don’t shed the pounds, your money will be donated to a charity…that you hate.
45. Weigh in daily. For some, the scale is a bummer and a distraction. Others like the daily feedback and accountability. Try it, and see if you lose weight. (The scale isn't the enemy! Here, 6 Ways to Befriend Your Scale.)
46. Meditate. It’s no secret that stress-eating can sabotage the best diet intentions. A short daily meditation can help you keep binge-inducing anxieties in check.
47. Chill out. Drinking eight or more glasses of ice water a day may help your body burn fat, according to research.
48. Express yourself. A creative outlet is likely to boost your self-esteem and take your mind off food. You can’t eat and decoupage at the same time.
Look Great, Feel Great
49. Brush and floss. Who wants to ruin their minty-fresh breath with a snack?
50. Fantasy binge. Before you dig in, visualize yourself eating a treat. Science suggests that those who do this mental exercise will eat less of what they first imagined.